Steven Krivit wrote:
> Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain Mr. Branson.
>
> http://www.newenergytimes.com/SR/CashIn/CashonClimateChange.html

So it seems iron fertilization does enhance algae growth after all, by creating
more or less instantaneous blooms, and the (old) idea is not George's but
Martin's like Jones said. I had no idea there was a lack of iron in the oceans,
this probably means this element is the limiting factor for ocean surface algae
photosynthesis. What is not clear at all if if this scheme is a net atmospheric
carbon absorber in the long term, let's assume it isn't (algae re-emit GHGs
when they die, so do the fish that eat them), so we still need to harvest and
sequester.

Ok let's pursue the whale herd idea of my earlier post for harvesting and
sequestering, and let's throw in the iron fertilization factor since it works:

1/ Let's equip the whales with iron dispensers spurting iron solution around
when there is sunlight for photosynthesis to occur. This way the algae will
grow where and when they can be harvested :) And the whale herd will grow too.

2/ Instead of going whale hunting like in the good old days, couldn't we take
advantage of the beasties' gluttony to remote control them to their oceanic
pastures and back? All that would be needed would be an embarked GPS, a radio
for two way communication with the "whale boys" in their control rooms on land,
and ways to direct the iron solution spurts to where we want the whales to
follow the blooms :)

How does this "whale oil" scheme sound now ?

Michel