For those not totally sick of this topic...   :)

Here's one research technique:  use google "define:" command to search
many random websites.

  http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+electrolysis

Several of them have Ed Storms' usage, including a UK chemistry textbook:
electrolysis is a chemical reaction or "change" caused by electric
current.  Other sites define it exclusively as decompostion.  Clearly the
word has multiple definitions in present use.  There's also a missing
definition with which I'm familiar:  electrolysis is an entire class of
phenomena, essentially meaning "electrochemistry of electrodes" rather
than chemical reactions.  Expert authors are free to use several
definitions as needed, while knowning that their intended audience is
sophisticated enough to derive the desired meaning from context.

Then I wondered, with all the sound and fury of this past week, did anyone
ever think to query Britannica?  Does it settle on Ed Storms' usage, or on
the older definition, or both?  Here's "Britannica Concise."

  http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9363559

William J. Beaty                http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Research Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195                    Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700