Terry Blanton wrote:

Cars and trucks often catch on fire; I have seen many,
but I have never seen a battery burn.

LOL!  More people have been killed by Ford Pintos than Dell laptops.

Well, naturally a burning automobile is more dangerous than a burning laptop, because there is so much fuel available. On the other hand, it would be scary if a laptop were to burst into flames in an airplane. (I think they mainly burn while charging, but nowadays you can plug in a laptop in-fight on some airplanes -- and on the Amtrak train I rode the other day.)

My main point was that a small number of battery types have caused most of the fires, and I sure the manufactures will fix the problem. Sony had to fork over $257 million to compensate customers and replace batteries. That's not the kind of problem management will ignore.

Regarding fuel and fires, last month when I was revising the aircraft section of my book, I discussed fuel and range with an old pilot. He told me what pilots always say:

'The only time you have too much fuel is when the plane is on fire.'

Pilots have lots of these pithy maxims. I like this one:

'There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.'