Hi,
[snip]
>It's stuck in the
>polyethylene oxide?   Hmmm... I wonder what the anode reaction is
>then. I'm utterly confused - but it still seems worth posting because
>O18 might play some role in all this.  It will be interesting to see
>if the lithium titanate battery continues to have some heating
>problems despite replacement of the cathode.
[snip]
I think chemical exchange mechanisms occur at the atomic rather than the nuclear
level. IOW whole atoms or ions of the same element simply bump one another aside
as the energy required to break the old chemical bond matches that released by
formation of the new bond. That means that normal thermal energy is enough to
bring about the exchange. However slight binding energy differences between
isotopes could easily lead to enrichment over time, especially if the binding
energy of the heavier isotope to the electrode material is slightly greater than
that of the respective lighter isotope.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.