Jones sez:

> worth quoting (if not circling a date on next year's calendar):
>
> "Dr. Igor Goryachev of the prestigious Kurchatov Institute announced ...
> that he expects to have a 100 KW "alchemical reactor" ready for
> demonstration at ICCF-14 to be held during August 2008!"
>
> Wow! Sound like the Russians are getting into our 'super-size-it'
> mentality. Wonder why he didn't opt for a one KW unit first?
>
> Kurchatov is where the Soviet H-bomb and TOKAMAK were invented, so they
> have a bit of credibility... "alchemical reactor" has a nice ring to it,
> even if sounding a bit like the old 'moonshine' still...
>
> Jed Rothwell wrote:
>
> > http://www.hindu.com/seta/2007/09/27/stories/2007092750081500.htm
> >
> > Bravo!
> >
> > - Jed

An "alchemical" reactor?

I obviously show my prejudice here when I mention the fact that I just
watched a fluffy TIVO'ed episode of Eureka where a strange bacteria
strain started infecting the town's metal, particularly in the support
structure of buildings, statues, pots & pans... Whatever metal the bug
comes in contact with it's turned into gold. Unfortunately the
bacteria wasn't finished messing with the elements as the same gold
later transmutes into corroded materials. The entire infrastructure of
Eureka was threatened with physical collapse unless they could come up
with an appropriate Mr. Clean cleaning compound (dispensed with a
spray bottle) to wipe the nasty bacteria from all the infected
metallic surfaces. During the show I heard such profound statements
like "The bacteria must be altering the molecular structure of the
metal turning it into gold..."

Profound script writing.

Setting my berated criticisms aside I look forward to Dr. Goryachev's
presentation. I hope he produces a more infectious splash than what
those poor folks at Eureka had to endure.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com