Robin and Jed recently elaborated on the unpredictable nature of
weather patterns attributed to Global Warming where it might seem for
brief spells as if the exact opposite of global warming is occurring.
A branch of computer simulations for which I have immersed myself in
for several months now would tend agree with these conclusions.

Let me endeavor to clarify.

For several months now I have been researching a specific branch of
computer simulations based on the simple rules of Celestial Mechanics.
I'm sure they are associated with an obscure branch of chaos theory. I
basically plot the path of an orbiting satellite as it makes its way
around an attractor in a 2D (x,y) plane. Chaos theory employs similar
algorithms where the computed results are fed back into the system to
generate the next iteration. Certain simulations need to be iterated
fifty million times or more in order to build visual patterns.

Certain observations where initially the orbital path of the satellite
appears to be in a stable orbit reveal how the system eventually
becomes unstable, where the satellite eventually breaks free of the
attractor's influence.  I have explored two unique factors that can
cause initially stable orbits to eventually destabilize.

FACTOR ONE: Increase the positive attractive force of the attractor
while all other factors remain fixed. (This would be the equivalent to
raising the temperature, as in Global Warming.)  The introduction of
instability is primarily due to larger sampling step rates brought
about by increasing the force attributed to the attractor. As in Chaos
theory the computed (x,y) values are fed back into the system as the
"seed" to the next iteration. Eventually the generated values become
too great for the closed system to manage in its current
configuration. The satellite's orbital period is forced to reorganize
into a different pattern to accommodate the additional "forces." Often
the reorganization process is unpredictable and abrupt. For brief
spells islands or reorganized stability can temporarily reassert
themselves between rivers of chaotic instability. Eventually, however,
the entire system breaks down utterly and completely.

FACTOR TWO: Introduce an outside/external force such as an
infinite/parallel force "beam." Eventually, if the external force's
influence becomes too great it essentially knocks the satellite out of
its stable orbit. However, before that happens, as the strength of the
external force "beam" slowly increases, the satellite's orbital path
tries to reorganize into new patterns of stability. Some of the
patterns generated as the satellite searches for stability are, IMO,
visually striking and totally unexpected. Depending on the combination
of celestial mechanical algorithms used patterns of precise order and
ordered chaos can occasionally find ways to work in seeming harmony in
unique dances. Some of the visual patterns generated in fact seem
reminiscent, to my POV, of the Van Allen radiation belts, including
the bow shock.

What my mathematical orbital explorations seem to have revealed so far
is that, if given a chance, these systems seem to prefer stable
patterns that often involve predictable periodic oscillations. If the
initial pattern of stability is disturbed either internally and/or
externally the system will attempt to reorganize or reconfigure into a
revised pattern of stability – again, if at all possible. However, as
additional influences or forces are fed into the system in increasing
amounts the ability for the system of having the capacity to find a
new level of stability steadily diminishes. Increased chaotic behavior
becomes the norm. Increased chaotic fluctuations are also observed.
Eventually the system "breaks".

* * * * * * *

I'm seriously toying with the idea of showing, visually, the evolution
of some of the more interesting chaotic patterns through a series of
computer animations. However, it's also clear to me that it would be
an ambitious project, one that I'm not yet sure I want to commit to.
There is still a ton of work left to do on just the computer
programming side. There remain countless unexplored rocks that I would
like to turn over. Each completed simulation seems to generate brand
new questions that beg to be explored in greater detail.

I would need to create a new subdirectory out on my OrionWorks web
site devoted to personal research in this obscure branch of study,
where interested parties could drop by and download graphics,
animations and accompanying text. Alas, I don't know how much outside
interest truly exist in what I'm currently researching. It seems
likely to me that previous explorers have already walked through
significant portions of this chaotic forest - the famous Mandlebrot
set and it's many siblings being the most obvious example. Perhaps
they have already mapped, sufficiently, the chaotic domains of
Celestial Mechanics as well. I have no desire to embark on a project
that promises to be a ton of work, one that is nothing more than the
reinvention of someone else's wheel.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com