The following personal essay was inspired by the recent discussions on
health insurance (more precisely the lack of) brought to our attention
by Jed, Ed, Stephen, and the Leaking pen.

* * * * *

An interesting analogy that made the smarmy economics of our country a
little easier for me to comprehend was the personal realization that
when GNP remains stagnant it should theoretically mean that everyone's
material quality of life should remain stagnant as well. Curiously,
that rarely happens.

Lets assume for the sake of argument that we live in a country called
the United Gumdrops of America, or UGA. Each UGA citizen produces a
single gumdrop to be consumed each day, and that there are exactly 300
million citizens in the fair land of UGA. That means 300 gumdrops are
being produced and subsequently consumed each day within the UGAn
economy.

Now, here's the catch: Once a UGA citizen manufactures their own
gumdrop they must then sell their personally manufactured gumdrop to
another UGA citizen because they can't consume their own gumdrop. They
can only eat a gumdrop manufactured by another UGA citizen. Despite
countless UGA government and privately financed projects to crack the
barrier that prevents UGA citizens from consuming their own personally
manufactured gumdrop no citizen can consume their own gumdrop. This
forces every UGA citizen to consume a gumdrop manufactured by another
UGA Citizen. Under this scenario our UGA economy produces 300 million
gumdrops each day, and every single gumdrop must be redistributed
fairly and equitably throughout the land of UGA - and everyone
consumes their acquired gumdrop. Everyone's daily gumdrop requirements
are being satisfied and all of UGA's citizens are happy, at least when
it comes to consuming gumdrops.

Of course, maintaining fair and equitable system of gumdrop
distribution throughout the country UGA rarely happens. There are
always individuals who know how to manipulate the system of gumdrop
distribution better than others. They posses greater power or gumdrop
influence over others and subsequently end up consuming more gumdrops
per day; let's say two or three gumdrops per day. And as we all know,
the laws of conservation dictate that if someone consumes two or three
extra gumdrops over their daily single gumdrop allotment, that means
an equal number of UGA citizens must go without consuming any gumdrops
at all for that day.

Let's assume it's really, REALLY IMPORTANT that everyone GETS their
daily gumdrop allotment. Go without consuming a gumdrop a day for a
few days straight and suddenly all those gumdrop-deprived UGAn
citizens decide maybe it's time to take matters into their own hands
and start TAKING gumdrops away from others who seem to have their own
gumdrop. Maybe they'll focus their frustration on a few UGAn citizens
who seem to have acquired the skill of securing lots of gumdrops, and
maybe they will get their gumdrop and subsequently not feel so gumdrop
deprived. More likely, however, too many of the gumdrop deprived will
simply take a gumdrop anyway they can, meaning what's easiest for them
to reach for, and that typically means from someone who is not all
that adept at holding onto their single gumdrop. Maybe those who
aren't adept at keeping their own gumdrop are sick, or too old, or
simply too ignorant to know they've just been hoodwinked into
relinquishing their daily gumdrop allowance.

What is the UGA leadership to do? Its citizens are beginning to riot
over gumdrops! They ponder their options:

(*) Eliminate the gumdrop deprived – specifically those who no longer
seem capable of acquiring their daily allotment of a gumdrop.
Unfortunately, there is an unpleasant cascading effect that
accompanies this solution as each UGA gumdrop deprived citizen who is
eliminated results in one less gumdrop they personally manufacture
that subsequently enters the UGA distribution system and isn't sold,
and that means another UGA citizen will no longer be getting their
daily gumdrop either, and subsequently they too will need to be
eliminated. How far should the UGA leadership carry this scenario?
Most UGA citizens will most likely decide, sooner or later, that this
plan isn't a very good one and subsequently decide to remove every UGA
leader that had made the suggestion in the first place, and while they
at it, they'll take their gumdrop away from them too.

(*) Eliminate and/or prevent those who consume more than their daily
allotment of gumdrops from consuming more than their daily requirement
of a gumdrop. Unfortunately, this suggestion is considered just as
Un-UGAn, and every UGA leader that had ever suggested it is also voted
out of office, and their gumdrop is taken away from them as well.

(*) Figure out a way to increase gumdrop production as manufactured
per UGA individual. Hey! Maybe this might work! However, the
suggestion has consequences as well. If implemented it's probably a
good idea to start planning for:

(1) Additional UGA cavities.

(2) Increased instances of UGA diabetes.

(3) And last of all, growing discontent from former UGA citizens who
got used to being perceived as special and powerful, primarily because
they were extremely skilled at acquiring more than their daily gumdrop
allotments. Now everyone gets to consume more than one gumdrop a day.
Well... almost everyone.  That's no fun! I'm no longer special! My
skill of accumulating extra gumdrops is no longer envied! Some of the
disgruntled discontents decide to install their own UGA lawmakers who
have pledged to pass a law making it illegal for individual UGA
citizens to manufacture more than one gumdrop per day – on the premise
that excess gumdrop manufacturing is depleting UGA's finite resources,
UGA's sacred cache of raw materials that go into the manufacturing of
gumdrops.

* * * *

Well, that's the end of my essay. I never said I had the solution.

"Gumdrops, get back.
I'm all right jack keep your hands off of my gumdrop"

With apologies to Pink Floyd:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pink+floyd/money_20108700.html

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson