>From Stephen Lawrence

> I was surprised -- I thought we were heading for the cliff a lot
> faster than this, and $200/bbl oil next year was a no-brainer.  But,
> apparently not.

Impressive analysis.

Several weeks ago the Kiplinger Letter claimed that current commodity
prices are significantly above what supply and demand factors would
historically dictate.

See:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/commodity_prices_near_turning_point_080409.html

http://tinyurl.com/46a6as

What's behind it?

Investors chasing high returns...pouring cash into commodity futures
because other choices seem less attractive. Herd behavior.

What could burst the bubble? Sez Kiplinger:

"A number of factors could burst the commodity balloon: A cut in
worldwide commodity demand, big stock market gains, a more stable
dollar or tame inflation signals. Prices will drop by about 30% if all
these factors come into play at once, but declines will be smaller and
gradual if signals are mixed. Oil will slide to $85 a barrel, with a
smaller reduction at the pump, because risk is still a factor."

Just to be clear on this point, Kiplinger doesn't expect the bottom to fall out.

Unfortunately, Natural Gas won't come down. Sez Kiplinger:

"Demand for natural gas for industrial, heating and other uses is sure
to remain strong, and prices, currently around $9 per million British
thermal units, may top $10 per million British thermal units next
winter. Natural gas supplies are roughly adequate for normal weather,
but harsh conditions are likely to cause real stress. Fading quickly:
hopes that liquefied natural gas will increase supplies. LNG is going
to Asian and European buyers, who are outbidding U.S. purchasers."

Personal reflections:

I hope they're right. Not sure that I do.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks