Thanks Jones,

I did see a diagram of a positive inner grid device on that site you quoted:
http://www.fusor.net/files/EMC2_FusionToPost.pdf
"So that brings us to Figure 2. The Elmore-Tuck-Watson machine4 is the reverse
of a Hirsch Farnsworth machine. The inner grid is positively charged instead of
negatively charged, so it attracts electrons instead of ions. Electrons pass
thru the inner
grid and converge on the center, pass out the other side, then come back for
another pass.
The result, at sufficiently high current and voltage, is a very dense region of
negative
charge in the center of the machine. This is really what you want instead of the
negatively-charged grid in the Hirsch-Farnsworth machine. If you generate
deuterons
just inside the inner grid of an Elmore-Tuck-Watson machine, they'll oscillate
happily
thru that cloud of electrons for a very long time. The electrons and ions are
at such high
energy that they essentially can't recombine to any significant degree, so, in
principle, the
ions might make enough passes thru that central region to produce meaningful
fusion."

I can't say the explanation makes total sense to me, but I noticed they mention
_electrons_ being attracted to that positive inner grid, not D2- ions as you
proposed... it is well known that the vast majority of charged particles in D2
glow discharges are electrons and deuterons BTW.

I agree a high density of electrons at the center is a good thing as they
screen the deuterons from each other, so maybe the screening effect in this
positive inner electrode machine is more useful than accelerating the deuterons
in the Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor (negative inner electrode)... which must be
pushed around by the high energy electrons anyway... can the maths of this be
found somewhere?

Michel