Hi,
[snip]
>Robin van Spaandonk wrote:
>
>"Clearly the EPA needs a new category for PLUG-IN hybrids, as opposed
>to ordinary hybrids. (The volt is NOT an electric car. It IS a
>plug-in hybrid)."
>
>Yes. The thing is, there are gradations with hybrid technology. A car
>can be mostly an ICE (weak hybrid) or a balance (like the Prius) or
>it can be mainly an electric car (the Volt).

The difference lies in the "plug". If the car comes equipped with one, then it
is clearly designed to be driven for extended distances on electric power alone
(otherwise there is no point in supplying a recharging capability), and should
not be subject to the same rules that apply to ordinary hybrids or gas vehicles.
What the new rules should be, is an open question.

>So it is hard to
>categorize. You have to have some sympathy for the EPA on this. It is
>difficult to measure efficiency when you have to take into account
>inputs from electric power which can be generated with fossil fuel,
>nuclear power, wind, etc. Conventional cars are simple. Their
>efficiency and carbon footprint does not change when you refuel them
>in the middle of the night.

The EPA has to adapt to the fact that it is not just going to be difficult to
measure efficiency, it's going to be absolutely impossible. This is because
every driver will travel different paths, and hence achieve different
efficiencies, and also because of the fuel mix you mention. At most, the EPA can
measure maximum and minimum efficiencies.
However the advertising used by the manufacturers, and the experiences of the
general public, can provide a hint as to what direction the new standards should
take. E.g. I would think that the maximum distance that can be traveled in pure
electric mode would be a useful criterion (which is already in use by the
manufacturers and public).

>There have been proposals to allow "hybrid" cars to use the HOV lanes
>on highways. The trouble is that some weak hybrid cars are less
>efficient than ordinary cars, and an ordinary compact car that gets
>35 miles per gallon carrying two people  equals 75 mpg per passenger,
>which is better than a Prius. So this policy makes no sense. Perhaps
>they should open up HOV lanes to any car that gets 35 mpg or better,
>but it would be awfully difficult to identify them.

I don't think a change to the HOV rules is necessary. Soon, many if not most
vehicles will be plug-ins anyway, without any encouragement from government. The
public can't wait to get their hands on them.

>Ultimately, what we need is a RFID identification and onboard
>computer on every car that automatically tallies and pays a toll for
>every mile driven on every road, depending on the gas mileage of the
>car, the time of day (with a premium charge at rush hour) and other
>factors. It would be intrusive, but it is the only fair way to pay
>for roads and reduce congestion. This will especially be needed if
>cold fusion is commercialized and gasoline taxes go away. See chapter
>17 of my book.
[snip]
There is a simpler and less intrusive solution. Put a tax on tyres iso gasoline.
Has the added advantage that careful drivers pay less tax. :)
Toll roads help too.
Of course, that wouldn't be enough, so the rest should be taken from
consolidated revenue.
Perhaps needless to say, this shouldn't be done until gasoline has gone the way
of the Dodo.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>