Those kinds of smoke rings are fairly common.   The smoke is trapped in
the narrow core of a much larger ring-vortex.   It's laminar, otherwise
the smoke would appear as a whirling cloudy structure.

I heard that some local guys ten years ago set off a homemade gasoline
bomb in a parking lot.  They said that its fireball created a perfect
black ring which lasted for over an hour, rising the whole time.

A common anomaly in actual volcanoes is "steam rings," vast laminar smoke
rings launched outwards from vents.  Mount Etna does it all the time.
Go find some pictures (I see a sharply-defined laminar one, and a cloudy
turbulent one, both white steam.)

Also,

   http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread413894/pg1

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Terry Blanton wrote:

> Whatever this UFO was, it scared the family:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/06/16/dnt.va.ufo.sighting.wavy
>
> France, Brazil, Denmark and others have recently opened their UFO
> files.  Is some sort of disclosure underway?
>
> Terry

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci