Oh it's glowing all right at those temperatures. It's just clear. Now if you
get a layer on the surface, even a very thin one, of something that reacts
with the atmosphere, and it will go opaque because of the reacting compounds
at the surface. Tin bloom on float glass, applied color or additives, nasty
polluted kiln atmosphere from previous pottery glaze use, etc. will cause
the surface to become rather opaque to some degree. Good clean clear glass
though is always clear at process and furnace temperatures. I suppose if the
background behind the clean glass is dark, then the glow might overwhelm
what you actually see and it could look opaque, but it is still clear. Get
some light behind it and it becomes readily apparent.

R.