Harbach Jak wrote:

<<So in that vane;  Some Mother-earth-news types back in the 70's notice that a
simple and effective way to get water pumped up hill from a cased well was
simply to hoist a small piston air-compressor up a pole with wind-fan blades
fabricated on to the drive shaft and simply 'pressure-up' the capped well
casing. And with a skinny PVC pipe running down into the water of the well
acting as a straw the 25lbs of air-pressure or so would pump a steady stream
quite high as needed into an over head tank.  It works great and is almost
absurdly 'low-tech.'>>

Yup this is what I was getting at. I wanted to avoid converting the
wind/sun/waves/tide etc into electricity which is then stored in a battery or
used to pump water uphill etc. Direct conversion of renewable energy into
stored mechanical energy would cut out the "lossy" middlemen stages.

Nick Palmer

On the side of the Planet - and the people - because they're worth it