At 11:06 AM 9/8/2009, you wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

But apparently the Kitamura work only found a small effect, unlike the much larger effect that Arata reported.

Kitamura used only a small sample. That is to say, he took a large sample and divided it into 6 small samples, for reasons I explained here previously. He hopes to try a single large sample soon. (He may already be doing that.) If you compare the strength of the reaction to the mass of material, I believe it is comparable to Arata's results.

I really need to get a copy of the Kitamura paper. Is it, or a prepublication version, available?

If it's comparable to Arata's results, that leads to some possibilities. I understand the Kitamura material should be available.