This is a sad footnote . . .

The DIA report lists Andrei Lipson as a major Russian researcher, on page 5. Lipson deserved to be signaled out. Several people including me told the DIA authors that Andrei died on November 1, 13 days before the paper was issued. The DIA said they heard that sad news but the paper has already been through the review & approval process it was too late to change it.

That is entirely understandable.

I hope that Andrei's colleagues are able to continue his fine work.

Mizuno told me he considered Andrei one of the most creative and important people in the field.