On Nov 25, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner wrote:

Very few labs have the ability to even attempt to examine the correlation accurately, and the studies which have been done have error bars which I think are too large to establish the actual mechanism by which the fusion occurs.

The error bars are big and I gather some theorists agree they are too big to establish the mechanism. But the data does prove the correlation. Especially Miles' dataset.

Whatever those error bars are, the ratio of heat to helium is pretty close to plasma fusion, if not bang on. I mean, it is not off by a factor of a million or a billion, the way neutrons appear to be.

- Jed

Agreed. However, a difference of 20% or more, if way outside the error bars, could eliminate some theories and support others. I just don't think the data is good enough yet, and may never be unless much larger helium volumes are created, or some means is found to skew the branching ratios toward producing more tritium. I think there is no doubt the main "ash" is He4, it is just the precise ratio of MeV to 4He that I think is not nailed down precisely enough to ascertain that the excess energy from D + D -> 4He is derived solely from and corresponds perfectly to 23.9 MeV per fusion. If I recall, most of the He data indicates *less* energy than that. Miles and Hollins found a "correlation" to excess heat. They write:

"For this reaction 1 W corresponds to a rate of 2.62 • 1011 4He/s. The highest excess power observed at 528 mA (0.46 W, 10/21/90-B, Table 1) would therefore produce 5.4 • 10^14 atoms of 4He in the time period required to fill the 500 ml collection flask with D2 and O2 gases (4440 s). About 10^14 atoms of 4He were detected, which is within experimental error of the theoretical amount."

See:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesMcorrelatio.pdf

A much more thorough review is by Miles:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesMcorrelatioa.pdf

Miles' *best* result was 1.9 x 10^ 11 He atoms per s^-1 W^-1, vs the theoretical value of 2.6 He atoms per s^-1 W^-1, which shows a deficit of 27%.

I bring this up mainly because the deflation fusion model predicts a deficit from the 23.9 MeV per fusion, at least as correlated to immediate excess heat generation. It also predicts the (slim) possibility of exceeding this value for very long running experiments especially ones which occupy a large enough volume to trap hyperons that may result. See:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/CFnuclearReactions.pdf

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/