At 05:19 PM 12/22/2009, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
>Some of the alphas,
>statistically, would be hot enough to induce secondary reactions as
>well. (Which comes first, the photon emissions or the fission?)
[snip]
Be8 has a very short half life. I would expect an excited state to have an even shorter half-life (a lot shorter). Therefore I would expect the fission to occur
first. However perhaps energy is radiated from the complex while it is
shrinking?

I don't think so, as to radiation while condensing. However, Takahashi has covered the expected radiation after fusion, in an earlier publication. First, though, looking for the earlier paper, I'll quote this as an explanation of the process, from a 2007 paper. http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/library/2007/2007TakahashiA-TheoreticalSummary.pdf

In Fig. 3, TSC will form in the near surface region of condensed matter by the mechanism (A) or mechanism (B) as discussed in Session 2, with certain probability depending on methods of experiments and near-surface physics of condensed matter: Step 1 (TSC forms). Then TSC starts Newtonian squeezing motion to decrease linearly its size from about 100 pm radius size to much smaller size and reaches at the minimum size state: Step 2 (minimum TSC). Classical squeezing motion ends when four deuterons get into the strong force range (5 fm) and/or when four electrons get to the Pauli’s limit (about 5.6 fm for e–e distance). Here for the Pauli’s limit, we used the classical electron radius of 2.8 fm, which is determined by equating the static Coulomb energy (e2/Re) and the Einstein’s mass energy (mec2) to obtain
Re = e2/mec2 = 2.8 fm; classical electron radius. (16)
Since the range of strong interaction (about 5 fm) is comparable to the classical electron diameter (5.6 fm), as shown in Fig.3(2), the intermediate nuclear compound state 8Be* will be formed just after the minimum size state (“overminimum” state); Step 3: 8Be* formation. Immediately at this stage, 4d-cluster shrinks to much smaller size (about 2.4 fm radius) of 8Be* nucleus, and four electrons should go outside due to the Pauli’s repulsion for fermions. Shortly in about few fs or less (note; Lifetime of 8Be at ground state is 0.67 fs), 8Be* will break up to two 4He particles, each of which carries 23.8 MeV kinetic energy; Step 4: Break up. It will take about 60 fs from about 100 pm initial size of TSC to its minimum size about 10 fm. About 60 fs is regarded as rough measure of TSC lifetime for this very transient
squeezing motion.

Takahashi gives very strong arguments as to why the hypothesis of direct d-d fusion to He-4 is implausible.

In any case, I found the page I'd seen where I got the idea that Takahashi is proposing loss of Be-8 excitation energy through photons. His more recent papers, as far as I saw, don't mention this, but I don't see a discussion, either, of the rejection of the idea. However, http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/TakahashiAdeuteronst.pdf, a presentation from ICCF 13 (2007), has a copy of a diagram from his earlier paper, which is from Fusion Technology (1994), see page 36 of the linked paper.

In the "extreme scenario," the final products are two alpha particles with 46.6 keV each, and "most energy (47.7 MeV) is transferred to lattice vibration via QED photons." He then predicts a series of energies will be found, ranging from the minimum all the way up to the full 23.8 MeV that would be expected to result from immediate decay.

And he states, after this, that "quantitative studies on transition probabilities will be needed."

Apparently Takahashi thinks, contrary to what Robin suggests, that photon emissions are possible in the lifetime of the Be-8 nucleus, before it breaks up. He does not predict the ratios, only the values expected for He-4 energies.