At 01:09 PM 1/25/2010, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
What we absolutely will *not* see:

-- A true self-runner, which convinces all but the most pathological of
skeptics.  Will not happen -- not from Steorn.  Not now, not ever.
This includes motors with no external power supply, and motors driven by
capacitors (which are shown conclusively to remain charged during the
run) instead of batteries.

While I've seen no evidence from Steorn that would lead me to consider the possibility significant, and lots that indicates to me that it's highly unlikely based on their history, I will now take the position that overunity is possible in theory, in terms of local results, not to mention the deeper possibility of error in the concept of conservation of energy.

What if something about the behavior of magnets and magnetic fields and ferrite cores and magnetic domains and all that causes some unexpected phenomenon that releases energy from unknown or unanticipated sources? Perhaps Steorn discovered an anomaly and in order to cash in on it, they adopted their approach rather than simply publishing it. It is not essential to this, at all, that they understand the anomaly.

But, as I wrote, "highly unlikely." But experiment is king. If the anomaly is shown, they will have indeed made a major discovery, of an anomaly, at least, and then is the anomaly worth exploring? Scientifically, yes, absolutely, until it is explained and the explanation is proven to be more than just an alternative hypothesis, and assuming that the anomaly is significant in amplitude, and is replicable.

It is an entirely separate question whether or not there is enough energy over-unity to be of practical use. Hence demands for a self-running demo are excessive, as to the ultimate issues, that transcend whether or not Steorn are scammers, or legally milking this. But if it is true that there is twice as much energy going into rotational inertia than into heat, some commercial application, if only for heating!, would seem possible.

Hence I do, in fact, think that puffery is highly likely, that claims of Sean for 2:1 are based on extrapolation and imagination, not actual experiment, properly analyzed. Same thing with the Szabo motor, which seems quite similar in certain ways.

But, indeed, we will see the next act in this play in a few days. What rabbit will the author pull out of the hat?