The question arises: If, as I claim, the opposition is weak and foolish, why
have they won every round of this fight? Why is there no funding for cold
fusion?

As I see it, human nature is the problem. Many people hate progress. Even
scientists. As Martin told me years ago: "People do not want progress. It
makes them uncomfortable. They don't want it, and they shan't have it."

The opposition has found it easy to stymie this research because most people
want them to win. It has always been this way. Look at the objections raised
against lightning rods, vaccination, railroads, airplanes and computers. In
retrospect, these objections were absurd, but at the time they carried
weight because people were anxious to find a reason to oppose progress. In
the U.S. we often pay lip service to the benefits of innovation, but like
people everywhere, most of us only want trivial, incremental innovation such
as the I-pad. After a new technology is introduced and everyone understands
the benefits, then it becomes popular and people persuade themselves they
were in favor of it all along.