From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson [mailto:orionwo...@charter.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:53 PM
To: Vortex
Subject: [Vo]:Some personal thoughts on the recent "Guide to the Cosmos" Krivit
interview

I spent a couple of days reviewing the "Guide to the Cosmos" interview with
Steve Krivit. I was
interested in comparing what was actually said versus what certain individuals
within the Vort
Collective seem to be implying Krivit has said. For example, I noticed the
following opinions
recently levied against Krivit:

"Krivit is attacking a straw man and claiming that people are lying."

And:

"Steve calling people who are thinking out of the box liars will not get you
in."

The title of the radio program is "Guide to the Cosmos - Did Scientist on '60
Minutes' Lie about
Cold Fusion?" It's a deliberately incendiary title: Hype. Anyone invited to
speak on a radio show
sporting such an incendiary title where they are asked to explain their
admittedly controversial
position is likely to end up getting branded any which way they turn - unless
they are very, VERY
skillful in regards to the choice of words they use.

I'm not interested in defending Mr. Krivit's journalistic style, particularly
the controversy that
has surrounded NET#34. That has already been extensively critiqued by many
within this discussion
group. What I'm interested in focusing on is the fact that I'm beginning to
read conclusions
expressed in Vortex that from my perspective seem to be skewing what was
actually said in the recent
"Guide to the Cosmos" interview. It would seem that certain vort posters are
beginning to imply that
Mr. Krivit has actually accused certain CF scientists of lying. The "L" word is
now being openly
bandied about like loose change strewn on top of a dresser. And while the "L"
word was not directly
linked to any specific CF researcher... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a
duck... Guilt by
association.

Let me be clear about this. I never heard Krivit state that that CF scientists
and researchers
"lied" about their data in this interview.

<Personal analysis of what got Krivit into trouble>

[Feel free to skip the "personal analysis" portion if you're not interested in
my own personal
blow-by-blow analysis of a specific portion of the Cosmos interview.]

I can understand how such a black & white accusation could be conjured up,
particularly since in my
view Krivit's handling of himself (the choice of words he used) showed in my
view some inexperience
in the "PR" management of his personal speculations. I think that inexperience
got him into trouble
and allowed his critics to exploit the situation.

I heard the radio host attempt to maneuver Krivit into confirming conjecture
that certain scientists
had lied. The radio host used the phrase "...deliberate misrepresentation by
these scientists" which
Krivit initially confirmed. You can hear Steve say "Yeah... Ummm..." Anyone who
has a modicum of
intelligence in regards to the manner in which those two monosyllabic words had
been uttered would
quickly suspect that this reporter was not entirely comfortable with his
response, that probably in
Krivit's mind he might be trying to work out a clarification in regards to what
he is beginning to
realize he has just found himself agreeing to. Meanwhile, the interviewer
presses on and uses the
term "scientific fraud". At this point Steve counters by stating "No, I'm not
going to say
'scientific fraud' ... although people are free to make their own assessment of
that."

Unfortunately, it's the latter portion of Krivit's reply ("...free to make
their own assessment...")
that in my view gets him into even more trouble. It can leave many a listener
with the impression
that "scientific fraud", of "lying", is still a legitimate conclusion that
Krivit might be
indirectly endorsing. (IOW: the sins of omission.)

It would not surprise me if Krivit as he went about performing his
investigations in preparation for
NET#34 may have found himself on more than one occasion privately entertaining
speculation as to
whether certain CF scientists might have lied about the content of their data.
It would be a natural
form of creative speculation that any of us could easily find ourselves
privately entertaining while
in the midst of trying to unravel a complicated confusing puzzle of scientific
data. A crucial point
listeners who might chose to assume Krivit has actually claimed CF researches
"lied" is the fact
that Krivit has already stated for the record: "...I'm not going to say
'scientific fraud'". That
means Krivit never said that anyone had "lied" about their data.

As previously stated, it seems to me that Krivit's handling of his words
(particularly what I would
describe as a mismanagement of some his private speculations) was awkward, and
that transparency got
him into trouble. Hopefully, in the future as Krivit continues to pursue his
career as an
investigative reporter he will become better experienced in the management of
private speculations,
particularly where he himself becomes the star witness, where the interviewer
is attempting to steer
the direction of the conversation to a desired outcome.

</Personal analysis of what got Krivit into trouble>

It seemed to me that Krivit spent a good portion of the interview clarifying
what he personally
perceived to have been a "...misrepresentation of [the] data", a conclusion
based on his own
research of the scientific findings. What I took away from that interview is
that Krivit doesn't
seem to link his perception of a "...misrepresentation of data" as deliberate:
"intent to deceive."
... of "lying." But some within the Vort Collective seem to have come
dangerously close to
interpreting Krivit's statements as having been an all-out accusation: That
certain CF researchers
lied.

It's beginning to look to me as if the rumor mill has started to grind away.
Will Krivit soon be
accused of deliberately accusing CF scientists of lying? Rumors can be
insidious little
disinformation pathogens. Is the Vort Collective in danger of catching the
fever? Will this nasty
little virus replicate and spread its message to other hosts? I'm sure this
little gem would love to
do just that - if it hasn't already.

What I took away from this interview concerning Krivit's reporting style is the
fact that Vort
participants (myself included) are not immune to becoming a tad cloistered,
even incestuous as we
continue to bask the admiration and eloquence of each other's expressed
opinions. Our posts
occasionally include extensive analysis of the behavior and motivations of
others. Our posts can
also turn into circuitous feedback loops stated and re-stated over and over -
occasionally in
tedious bulk format. (I freely admit that I'm probably just as guilty of having
committed many of
these sins, particularly since this post is five pages in length, single
spaced.) It wouldn't hurt
too keep in mind the fact that the world is a big place where plenty of
alternate perceptions are
floating about, different perceptions that don't necessarily coincide with what
some within the Vort
Collective appear to be advertising as the truth of the matter.

I've also noticed that an opinion was recently expressed, that Mr. Krivit has
"lost it", presumably
in reference to Krivit's discriminatory performance as an investigative
reporter. The accusation
reminds me of a similar situation I experienced (at close range I might add)
almost 20 years ago. I
recall an investigative reporter who was reporting on UFO matters, an
individual I knew quite well,
who encountered a great deal of exposure of the unwanted kind. Due to his own
inexperience at
handling certain complicated issues for which he was going through at that time
in his life, he got
into trouble with some of his closest colleagues. The incident eventually
spilled out into the
public arena in techno-color tabloid fashion. It was a juicy incident as it
stampeded across various
USENET UFO news groups. At one point this reporter ended up being called a
"pathological liar" by a
formal colleague who felt betrayed. Incidentally, such anger was justified I
might add, even though
the "pathological liar" claim wasn't. Way back then, when the feeding frenzy
was at full swing,
critics concluded that this investigative reporter had truly lost it. They
predicted he would either
self destruct or be ostracized, fading into the woodwork, never to be heard
from again. The
predictions never materialized, much to the consternation of his simmering
critics. He continues to
perform the same investigative work he embarked on twenty years ago. He
continues to plug away,
collaborating and co-authoring several new books. He has also been involved as
a consultant to a few
television documentaries. It reminds me of a famous quote Mark Twain once said:
"The reports of my
death are greatly exaggerated"

Investigative reporters are often perceived as either heroes or villains
depending on what side of
the fence one is working on. It's the cross those who engage in this scrappy
profession must carry.
As such, it is my opinion that accusations, such as Krivit has "...lost it", or
that he's using the
"L" word ("make him stop!!!!") strike me as not terribly insightful. Drama of
this nature plays out
all the time in the public arena. It seems to me that many have gotten
themselves all whipped up
over Krivit's recent choice of words. I'm also getting the impression that some
here might even
begin to feel confident enough to start predicting Krivit's untimely
professional demise, or that he
will be ostracized. I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. In the
meantime, I certainly
understand the anger, the outrage. I will not make light of those emotions.
Insofar as the craft of
investigative reporting goes: Hopefully, as we get older and more experienced
we acquire more
insightful (if not more tactful) ways of delivering the message. Like any
profession, it's a
learning process, one that possesses its share of pitfalls.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com

www.zazzle.com/orionworks