You are right, Stephen- see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump (and many leaflets)

Have used such pumps mainly for agressive liquids as HCl that corrodes
almost all metals. But also for liquid cyanhydric acid (no problems) and for
liquefied phosgene - great trouble had to neutralize a lot of this stuff-
with gaseous ammonia- very unpleasant.
A good choice for the Italian setup, I think.