From: Jones Beene [mailto:jone...@pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:35 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:A New Slant on Hydrogen Fusion via Efimov and a Deflated electron

The nuclear reactions involving Helium-3 are arguably the most important
reactions in the universe -
the sine qua non for the heat and light necessary for life.

Yet Helium-3 has been seldom mentioned in LENR and all the prior emphasis has
been towards
converting deuterium directly to Helium-4, which is a reaction that is
impossible even on our sun!
Of course there are good reasons for the 'slight', but maybe it is time to go
back to basics, so to
speak.

In short, the most common fusion chain in the universe - the three step pathway
to convert hydrogen
to helium-4, which is found in all Stars, involves 3He in two of the three
stages. But since 3He is
rare on earth, we have effectively ignored the possibilities of a substituted
reaction based on this
isotope. This may change, thanks in part to Ing Rossi, even if it turns out not
to be what is
happening in his device.

The point being: why would we not look to 3He as a way to fuse hydrogen on
earth, if there is found
any logical way that it could happen? We already know that nature "prefers" to
go this route, so why
not copy nature as best we can?

If the answer you give is that the conditions do not exist here - that may be a
partially wrong
answer. Miley has shown that IRH, or inverted Rydberg hydrogen can be made at
the nanoscale and that
IRH has the required density. Therefore what we should ask is: does another
pathway exist to go from
dense hydrogen to 3He without deuterium ?

I think there is another way, and that is the purpose of this posting - to
roughly describe it as
going from the Efimov state (instead of a 3-body reaction) and to do it in the
next step via the
heavy or deflated electron.

This then becomes  a mash-up of a number of theories floating around, but it
seems to work logically
(so far) - and all that is needed to flesh it out more fully would be the
discovery of 3He in the
nuclear ash of the Rossi - OR - any other kind of Ni-H system where 'pycno'
could be involved.

The Rossi device may or may not include this pathway, and the inventor admits
he does not know how
it operates in theory, but it does use nano-nickel in a way that is (arguably)
consistent with
Efimov conversion of hydrogen into 3He.

The beauty of it is that the pathway to 3He may be considerably easier to
engineer, and cheaper than
anything else out there. I will not repeat the details of Efimov hydrogen
except to say that it
consists of 3 bound atoms of hydrogen in the Borromean ring configuration. Wiki
has an entry and
here is a news article.

 <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091211131526.htm>
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091211131526.htm

The Efimov state involves trimers and bosons. Usually it require very low
temperatures. That is
where the QBEC comes in. The QBEC or quasi BEC, is a hypothetical transitory
condensate, especially
composed of the only unique "composite boson" in nature that might possibly
condense in an
oscillating fashion at high temperature - for a tiny instant of time in each
cycle.

This is atomic hydrogen or single H, which has the minimum of 2 fermions giving
integer spin. Given
that spin can be aligned magnetically across many atoms, the daunting task of
aligning other
properties is greatly diminished so that normal probability gives one a
statistical "window" in
which transitory condensation at moderate temperatures - way above absolute
zero, may be seen.

A third ingredient in the mash-up is the recent thread on heavy or deflated
electrons. However, the
first thing that comes to mind, if we invoke a heavy electron, is why not use
it to justify P-e-P
instead of invoking it for what looks like a 3-body reaction?

My response is that yes, the P-e-P reaction is possible too, and what it really
gets down to which
one has the lowest threshold. (and what is discovered in the ash of relevant
experiments).

What I like about the Borromean ring of three atoms of hydrogen is that these
things are stable on
their own, neutral, and could be floating around in a metal matrix until such
time as they encounter
a heavy or deflated electron, which effectively converts one of the three
protons to the neutron (in
the "new" 3He nucleus), retaining two of the three normal electrons. The extra
energy would be
carried away by the odd-man-out electron.

This pre-hypothesis obviously needs more thought, and it may collapse as soon
as someone notices an
obvious problem that I have missed.

But hey - that is the value of newsgroups, no? . the sounding board for the
outrageous suggestion
that can become tomorrow's "told-you-so".

Jones