Horace:
Yes, I've noticed the postings out of order... For now we just deal with it.

Thanks for the analysis, and I'll have to read it fully later, but I'd like to
say two things at
this time:

1) If what you mean by "resonant tunneling" is,
"Resonant tunneling refers to tunneling in which the electron transmission
coefficient through a
structure is sharply peaked about certain energies",

Then, NO, that is NOT the kind of tunneling I am envisioning.  You are still
operating inside the
mainstream QM box, and imposing their concept of tunneling on my model.  I'm
way outside that box!
But its something that I've been pondering for decades.

The other comment of yours that I'd like to respond to is...

Horace wrote:
"All forms of cold fusion can only be described to Ockham's satisfaction by an
electron at least
momentarily in the newly fused nucleus."

My (qualitative) model does have electrons tunneling thru the nucleus... In
fact they do it ALL THE
TIME, continuously, but they traverse it so quickly that the chances of
catching one near to or in
the nucleus is practically NIL.

To get into a bit more detail, and only looking at electrons, I see them as
oscillators (forget
right now trying to determine 'what' is oscillating).  Like any oscillation,
they have to slow down,
reverse direction and then speed up to some maximum, then slow down again and
reverse direction.
Just looking at one electron, the vast majority of the TIME (95+%), the
oscillation is at the two
extremes (DISTANCE wise) because it is having to slow down and reverse
direction. These extremes are
what we PERCEIVE to be the electron orbitals or shells.  This is where we 'see'
the electrons, since
these extremes are where the ocsillations have slowed down and reversed
direction; this is where
they are MOST of the time.  By the time 'it' gets to the minute volume that is
the 'nucleus', it
(the wave?) is traveling at its maximum velocity and traverses the width of the
nucleus in an
extremely short period of time (10e-30secs??)... That's why electron tunneling
IS PERCEIVED to have
such a low probability -- because the velocity of the electron oscillation is
at its max when it
traverses the nucleus, and we don't yet have a 'strobe light' fast enough to
stop the action.  It is
nearly impossible to catch it anywhere near the nucleus.  In order to catch it,
the strobe light
would need to have an extremely short pulse width, extremely fast repetition
rate, and also need to
be tunable to allow adjusting the phase relationship between the strobe light
pulse and the location
of the electron (wave)... i.e., a temporary delay of say 10e-33sec would
slightly shift the phase
relationship when it is close to the nucleus.

Here is a hint about what I'm trying to convey:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/27515

"...probing atoms with two pulses of different-wavelength light that are
carefully-timed (IN THE
PROPER PHASE RELATIONSHIP) to take snapshots of the tunnelling process."

"In practice the two pulses must be synchronized to within several
BILLION-BILLIONTHS of a second to
achieve any sort of accuracy.."

[That's 10e-18!]

"Finally, using mirrors to carefully alter the delay, the physicists could
chart the tunnelling of
the electrons with a resolution of less than one femtosecond (10-15 s)."

This may NOT be good enough to actually see what is happening, although its
catching a glimpse!

So the technology is getting there, but do we really know the frequency of
electron oscillations???
Is a femtosecond laser fast enough to act as a strobe light to 'stop action' an
electron's
oscillation???  Are current measurements just catching a subharmonic???

In the above description, I've restricted the movement of the oscillations to
one dimension.  In
reality, the extremely short interaction with what's inside the nucleus, as it
traverses it, causes
the linear axis of the electron oscillation to (randomly?) move all around more
or less pivoting on
the center of the nucleus... This would explain why we PERCEIVE the electron as
occupying a more or
less spherical shell.

-Mark