I wrote:

> No common chemical and very few exotic chemicals can produce more energy
> than gasoline . . .

By volume or by weight, as far as I know.

Gasoline produces ~45 MJ/kg according to most sources.

Wikipedia, which is sometimes good for something, says methane produces 50
MJ/kg. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

I did not include "hydrogen" among common chemicals. As far as I know it is
the most energy dense chemical fuel by weight, at 142 MJ/kg. That's why they
use it for rocket fuel.

In my book, in chapter 1, p. 12, I discussed this issue by comparing a
hypothetical cell filled with hydrogen and oxygen to a cold fusion cell. I
was assuming that hydrogen and oxygen has more energy by weight than any
other chemical fuel. I am ignoring the weight of the container, and problems
with compressing the gas, and all other real-world considerations.