Hi,

On 21-4-2011 2:35, Jed Rothwell wrote:
He is planning to sell them in Greece. He has Friends in High Places there and I gather he has permission. I do not know about Greece or Europe, but in the U.S. or Japan you are never allowed to sell equipment without revealing every detail of the inner workings, patent or no patent. In the U.S., the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) will not put their seal of approval on the machine, and without that you are effectively barred from selling.

What I know from personal experience about certification in Europe, once a device is approved/certified in one of it's EC member states (e.g. Greece), it may be sold in all other EC member states as well. It should be noted however that getting approval/certification can be a very painstaking process, which requires many safety requirements to be addressed and also being proven that it is actually safe; especially if potential (nuclear) radiation or hazardous gasses (e.g. ozon) are generated for the task the equipment is to perform. For the patent part, that's a total different story, you need to patent the equipment in all EC member states separately; but as far as I can see Rossi did already cover that part.

In any case, Rossi could never hold his customers to an agreement that they will not open a sealed unit. That's like trying to stop programmers from poking around in Microsoft Windows. If Rossi sells 10 units, agreement or no agreement, you can be sure that within days 1 or 2 will end up in China being reverse engineered, and six months after that the market will be flooded with Chinese copies. He knows that as well as I do. What is he going to do, sue the user? What can he recover? The information is worth trillions of dollars. Everyone knows that.

Don't underestimate Russia, it is even allowed by law there to do reverse engineering on software.

Kind regards,

MoB