-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Blanton

>> I think putting roads underground is far too expensive, so I doubt that
will happen either (except perhaps here and there in large cities).

> As a former employee of Parsons Brinckerhoff, I agree, in the short
term.  However, there's the "Big Dig".  It actually worked out for
Boston.

One of the fabulous little-known colonial towns in Mexico is Guanajuato - a
town with almost all of the auto traffic AND parking moved completely
underground. The town itself is a pedestrian paradise.

Unlike the "Big Dig" this was a freebie, in a way.

IOW the town had the distinction 300 years ago - back when labor was rather
inexpensive - of sitting on a large deposit of silver, so they made the best
out of the situation and converted the mines into roads.

Why would not some form of subsurface robotic tunneling for roads - in the
future history of cheap LANR power, be almost as cheap?

... no silver lining?

Jones