On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 16:16 -0400, Terry Blanton wrote:

> I finally got a chance to listen to the podcast:
>
> http://evworld.com/general.cfm?page=audiolist
>
> The Future of Energy: Part 1
> 23-Apr-2011 -- Part one of two part dialogue with the chief scientist
> at NASA's Langley research center on the most promising new energy
> sources, as well as the obstacles they face.
> dennis_bushnell_part1.mp3

This is truly fascinating stuff, beginning at minute 7:20. Dr. Bushnell
says that they became interested in testing the Widom-Larsen theory in
2006 and began work in cold fusion.

http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2010/35/SR35913widomlarsen.shtml

The theory allows for the conversion to work with either deuterium,
hydrogen, or trititum, and certain metals, including palladium and
nickel, (maybe because they are in the same column in the periodic
table? -- has anyone tried platium?)

The theory claims that it's not fusion, but rather a type of fission
whereby the target metal captures a weak neutron which degenerates into
a proton, causing the transmutation, followed by a release of a beta
particle which releases heat. This theory has been around for a few
years now, and relies on no new physics.

Dr. Bushnell believes in this reaction and thinks that Rossi could
change the world with his discovery.

Craig Haynie
Manchester, NH