From: aethe...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:27:36 +1200
Subject: Re: [Vo]:mass-energy of virtual photons in our universe
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com

If light exerted a negative pressure on certain materials you would have a
violation of the laws of motion and with it the conservation of energy as you
could make a device that produces thrust from emitting and reabsorbing the same
light.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Wm. Scott Smith <scott...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just calculating the energy density of a single wavelength appears to give us
infinite mass-energy at a point as the particle size approaches zero. John
Wheeler pointed out that one cannot physically go smaller than the planck
length for a wavelength size, because the Universe would collapse into a giant
black hole at these neutron-star type mass-energy densities.

Cosmologically speaking, others worry that allowing wavelengths that are quite
a bit larger than that would make the universe expand out of control. Now I
don't know if somehow these two considerations balance each other out. All I
know is that ZPE proponents have argued that very small wavelengths exist, but
are somehow gravitationally neutral or that their Gravitational attraction
"wears out" as we consider ever-smaller sizes. I have heard that "around" the
size where the em wavelengths are strong enough to explain the Strong Nuclear
Force, is "about" where a runaway inflation of the Universe is no longer a
concern.

Personally, I don't think that runaway inflation is a problem to this model,
because I think that gravity is caused by these smaller wavelengths. Recent
papers in advanced optical theory have calculated that ordinary light can exert
a negative pressure on certain materials. Perhaps the reverse could also be
true: that some kinds of light can exert negative pressure on ordinary matter.
At this level of consideration, one would have to think of Energy, momentum,
inertia and gravity as forces that are "informing" matter where to go and how
fast.

Scott