Alan J Fletcher <a...@well.com> wrote:

> I recently collected some obsidian .. and cut my hand while doing so. It's
> reportedly still used for ultra-sharp scalpels.
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian

As much as I hate to admit there is something of value on Wikipedia, that
article has a fascinating detail:

"Obsidian has been used for blades in surgery, as well-crafted obsidian
blades have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel
surgical scalpels, the cutting edge of the blade being only about 3 nano
meters thick. Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade
when viewed under a strong enough microscope; when examined even under
an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even."

So here is a stone-age technology with a pronounced advantage over the best
modern technology. Wow!