Joshua wtote on Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:49 PM:

"You've lost me here. Say the device is calibrated to measure this. How do you
deduce that from 10
g/m^3 that all the water is converted to vapor? If the device measures 10
g/m^3, but the steam is
coming out at 0.1 m^3/s, then clearly, the steam doesn't account for all the
mass. So there must be
some liquid coming out too. The only way that 10 g/m^3 tells you that all the
water is being
converted to vapor, is if you measure the output flow rate to be 1 m^3/s, but
that is not measured.
So you don't know."

Okay, due to my randomly selecting an unrealisticly low flow-rate of 10g/sec, I
can see where it
could be confusing. Let me try to clear things up...

We BOTH agree that the saturation mass of water vapor is 600g/m^3 for 100.1C
steam at ambient
pressure. My original example used 10g/sec which is no where near saturation,
that is obvious, so I
can see where that may have been confusing.  I'll revise the example to be
close to the saturated
condition in the e-Cat tests...

Here's a scenario which is just BELOW saturation...
 - 594g/sec liquid water in  (this is 594/600 = 99% of saturation flowrate)
 - assume that the power level of e-Cat is such that 100% of the water is
vaporized, but little or
no excess power, so now the entire mass of water (594g/sec) is vaporized every
second, but not
superheated.
 - according to the methodology, the pressure inside the chimney is the same as
ambient, thus, the
flowrate of the dry steam out the chimney is equivalent to 594g/m^3.  We do NOT
need to measure the
flow rate.  The entire mass of the liquid water is now vapor, and that vapor
HAS TO BE EXITING the
chimney in order to maintain ambient pressure levels inside.

If we were to slowly reduce the diameter of the outlet hole, we would
eventually begin to restrict
the vapor's exit and the pressure would begin to increase inside the chimney.
If the pressure
inside is ambient, then the exit hole MUST be large enough to not restrict the
vapor's flowrate out
of it.

I also realize that if the pressure inside does increase significantly, then
depending on the
temperature, some vapor MIGHT begin to condense out which would REDUCE the
volume of steam, but it
would also INCREASE the steam's temperature.  This is a multivariable situation
that is modestly
complex... I am very much aware of that.

For whatever reason, be it stability or fraud, Rossi has chosen to operate his
reactor at this
borderline of phase-transition which needlessly complicates the analysis and
generates doubt.  But
it's what we have to deal with at this time, so let's just run with a more or
less idealized example
and see where it leads.

To Be Continued.... On Monday.

-Mark