P.J van Noorden wrote:

It is very important to notice that water boils at 100.5 C when the outside air pressure is 1030 mBar, which can be the case when a high pressure system is covering Italy . . .

In the April 28 tests, Lewan reported: "we calibrated the probe by immersing it in a pot with boiling water, and the measured value was then 99.6 degrees centigrade." Later during the test they measured vapor at "about 100.5 degrees centigrade." There is no doubt that was vapor, since it is substantially hotter than the boiling water, plus you can see steam coming out of the pipe. I expect that backpressure is minimal with this system.