Now some fun with cheap psychology ;-)

To explain some of Rossi's tactics look in his bio: he was a really
strong long distance runner.

"Andrea Rossi spent at least 8 hours a day studying and playing sports
(athletics, Italian champion of road race in 1970, in 1969 the  junior
world record of 24 hours race)"

http://ingandrearossi.net/gli-inizi/

If you have ever done some competition on endurance sports you know
that you have to use similar tactics if you want to have the chance to
win at the end of the race.  Sprint and slow, get away and then hide
in the group.

mic