I meant to write:

"If you don't believe it because Rossi is a dodgy person, go ahead and SAY
that. Just don't pretend you have some sophisticated technical reason."

It is perfectly valid to reject a claim because the person making the claim
looks like a crook. That is not a technical reason, but it is rational and
justified.

What Abd is doing is making a rational judgement based on personality and
then imagining he is deciding based on a technical problem; i.e., if you
don't know the source of heat, you can't be sure the thermometer really is
steady for 18 hours. Yes, you can be sure of that. Just keep an eye on it.

What Cude, Robert Park and the editors of Sci. Am. are doing is rejecting
all cold fusion claims no matter how legitimate the researcher may appear to
be. These people have no scientific basis for their opinions. They are
irrationally opposed, the way a creationist opposes evolution. Such behavior
is widespread. It is not surprising or unusual. You will not learn anything
from reading what such people write because they know nothing about the
subject and they have no basis for their beliefs.

I am on record expressing grave reservations about Rossi's personality and
his flamboyant claims. I have said this time after time. I have pointed out
blatant contradictions in his claims. I have said that I believe his claims
despite this. I believe the temperature difference was a steady 5 deg C for
18 hours, because I assume Levi and others are credible. I could be wrong
about that, naturally. I have never denied that it *might be* a scam. That
seems unlikely, albeit somewhat more likely today than it did yesterday!

I also believe the claim because many cold fusion reactions have produced
stable high temperatures. In some cases, you can summarize 3 months of data
with a single stable temperature difference. There will be some fluctuations
of course, but pretty much a flat line. Since we know that cold fusion can
do this, there is no reason to think Rossi's version of cold fusion cannot.