At 03:27 AM 8/10/2011, Mark Iverson wrote:
I think it is obvious that the vapor will be traveling faster than ANY liquid water that is part of a layer of liquid on the inner wall of the hose, due to the adhesion of the liquid to the hose.

Sure. I don't think there will be much of that. However, water can accumulate in pipes from condensation, and creates water hammer. A plug of water forms and is then blown at high velocity through the pipe. When it hits a bend, it can seriously whack the bend. Steam pipes get broken this way.

For our purposes, we need to know that there is water in the hose, period. We can't tell how much is from overflow and how much is from condensation. Not with the methods used in the demonstrations.

The real question is the heat being carried and that can be measured directly, and why that wasn't done is part of what is so nuts about this whole thing.

  The
amount and size of liquid water droplets that can be suspended within the vapor flow is most
definitely dependent on the flow rate...

What do we care whether the water remains suspended or collects at the bottom?

 And the temperature of the vapor of course.

The vapor is at a constant temperature, and will be the same temperature as the liquid water, at least after the hose has had time to heat up. I'm not solid on what happens to collected water. It's being sparged with steam, if any steam is reaching the end of the hose, it should be at boiling. Note that as the pressure drops along the hose, as it will, the steam will cool slightly.

  Just as in
clouds, coalescing rain drops will eventually fall out of the cloud when they reach a size that can no longer be supported against the force of gravity by the strong updrafts within the cloud. I
don't think I need to state that gravity still works inside the hose!

That's right. But in a hurricane, those drops travel with the wind, mostly. And the velocity of the steam, if this thing is cooking like they claim, will be greater than in a hurricane.

Abd wrote:
"In fact, though, at that rate, the water would be flowing over a lip where it is easily broken up
and carried along as small droplets."

That is not 'fact'... That is your suspicion.

I get to assert suspicion as fact. It's a claim. It's very clear to me. If I blow across a thin bead of water, it sprays.

I agree that SOME water droplets would get picked up,
but the amount and size would again depend on the vapor flow rate, as well as the TURBULENCE of the
spillover liquid and vapor flows...

The overflow rate is only a few grams per second. There is only maybe a milliliter of water in the opening at any given time (assuming that the hose isn't full!) That small amount of water will be as nothing to the steam flow from even 5% of the claimed evaporation rate.