Jouni Valkonen.

You didn't understand what I wrote. The main strawman you used was to suggest
that climate science somehow ignores or knows nothing about the effects of
forests and their potential to mitigate CO2 levels. You even implied a
conspiracy to avoid mentioing them. Laughable!

Try looking at the latest (2007) IPCC report on mitigation of climate change
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg3/en/ch9.html  - this link
destroys your whole case because it includes a LOT about forestry practices,
afforestation etc. Read it and then apologise to all those whose intelligence
and integrity you have insulted, including me. Clearly you are yet another of
the countless people who just assert their opinion without any form of proper
checking at all. That you said that www.skepticalscience.com is "perhaps the
worst quality page on climate science!" shows that you REALLY don't know what
you are talking about.

Your maths relating to trees may be OK but mere arithmetic, without a sensible
or rational context, is a waste of time.

You claim (about me) - "But, you yourself proved that you do not have any
mental resources to do the math and calculate how much carbon 3 gigahectares of
forest could store"
What you think is proof shows exactly how good your judgement is!

You haven't though through your ideas about forestry. From the IPCC document
paragraph 9.2.1:

"The global forest cover is 3952 million ha (Table 9.1), which is about 30
percent of the world’s land area"

Your point seemed to be that we could soak up all the excess greenhouse gases
by starting to create 3 giga hectares of forest and, for the purposes of this
argument, I will temporarily assume that is correct (by ignoring many
inconvenient factors you obviously did not consider). Let me just ask you -
where will the trees go? Most of the land that we currently use for agriculture
(approximately 4.8 giga hectares - about 38% of global land surface area) is
cleared forest. Does your oh-so-smart head care not that, although we will have
stabilised the climate, we won't have anything to eat because trees will have
displaced food crops?

Perhaps in future, before you pontificate with your eccentric, impractical and
misleading ideas, and insult people who don't deserve it, you ought to
re-evaluate just how valid your views are and start by applying maths in a
rational fashion.

Nick Palmer

On the side of the Planet - and the people - because they're worth it

Blogspot - Sustainability and stuff according to Nick Palmer
http://nickpalmer.blogspot.com