OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

> > I understand Levi's point of view. I don't agree with him completely,
> > but I get it. It is absurd for Krivit to suggest there is something
> > unethical or unusual about discussing the data with reporters even
> > though it is not suitable for a formal paper.
>
> ...unless one tends to be a cynic.

I stand ready to believe the worst about academic scientists. They can be
political animals. Some of them scheme or act with hidden, ulterior motives.
But in this case I see nothing cynical. Nothing even unusual. They often
say: "We are getting nifty results. We hope to present them at a conference
next year, and publish a paper." They will say that to me, or to a
journalist such as Lewan, or to anyone who visits the lab. It is not a big
deal. It does not mean Levi secretly doubts his results, or that he is
trying to give a false impression. Krivit's interpretation was silly. Krivit
often see evidence of foul play or a conspiracy where there is nothing to be
concerned about, or no issue at all, such as the time he misunderstood
scientific notation.