On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:16 AM, David Jonsson wrote:

I made a calculation in an inertial system and found that the CERN- OPERA neutrino speed was by some percent due to the rotation of the Earth around its own axis. Do you agree that the calculation should be made in a non rotating system? By the time CERN sends and OPERA receives the Earth rotation makes OPERA to come a bit closer. How many of you agree or disagree with this?

Silvertooth, Bryan G. Wallace, GPS and laser gyroscopes also supports this view. It is not suitable to apply the principle of relativity in a non inertial rotating frame.

David

David Jonsson, Sweden, phone callto:+46703000370

This hypothesis appears to me to be false. I calculate the motion at latitude of Gran Sasso to be 0.833 m in the 2.435x10^-3 S it takes light to travel the 730 km distance. I estimate the angle to lattitude to CERN to be about 33.6 degrees. This means the path length between CERN and Gran Sasso is elongated by cos(33.5°)*0.833 m = 0.615 m. The anomaly is 18.1 m early arrival. Assuming this was not taken into account by the team (unlikely) then it could only account for a 0.615/18.1 = 3.4% error.

I can provide detailed calcs later. I have to go for an MRI and other tests today which may take the rest of the day.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/