Your right after spending millions uselessly Rossi can always promote the e-cat as a very accurate calorimeter ( in fact the one that discovered profitable CF) and thus mark up the sale price even further. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jed Rothwell" <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:27 PM
Subject: [Vo]:Overall efficiency is not known but it is probably low

Daniel Rocha wrote:

You must not forget the losses due the conversion between the heat exchangers. If it was 70%, that means around 5KW for the core.

I pulled 70% out of a hat, by the way. I do not know what the overall efficiency is. I am just guessing, based on large, crude experimental calorimeters I have seen in various labs and at Hydrodynamics, Inc.

McKubre's calorimeter is superb, and it recovers something above 95% of the heat, as I recall. Or was it 98%? Anyway, the Rossi's reactor is the opposite of superb. It has a large surface area which must be hot and must be radiating a great deal of heat. Large, uninsulated boxes like this that are not engineered with multiple tubes inside and lots of internal heat transfer surface area recover no more than 80% in my experience.

I do not know how efficient the heat exchanger is, but top-notch good industrial ones are about 90% efficient according to on-line sources. I have no idea what this heat exchanger looks like but if it is experimental equipment put together by Rossi or by professors in the last month I'll bet it is well below good industry equipment. So I am guessing maybe 80% again.

That would be 64% recovery overall.

The right way to do this is to perform a calibration with a joule heater boiling water. That would tell us the recovery rate. Knowing Rossi I'll that they did not do that.

Anyway, it can't be anything close to 100%. You can bet the surface of that machine and of the heat exchanger was hot. How hot? I asked several people who attended the demonstration to try to measure that surface temperature but I doubt any of them did it. I don't think they had time to prepare for that.

As I said this test was an improvement over previous ones but I expect I will find plenty of ways in which it could have been done better, such as calibrating and using a IR sensor.

Having said that, we should not lose sight of the fact that finding out how much heat is lost from the system unaccounted for can only improve the numbers for Rossi. It can only strengthen the claim. I am sure that total output energy exceeded total input by a large measure. With 4 hours of heat after death no other result is possible. You cannot begin to store 4 hours of heat at 3.5 kW in a device this size. That notion is preposterous. If the heat recovery was 98% (which it could not be; that is far too high) this result is definitive. If the recovery was 70% or 40% it is even more definitive. You do not actually need to know what it was. Knowing it would be icing on the cake.

In some early cold fusion experiments, there was only excess heat if you took into account of the measured losses from the calorimeter, which are measured by calibrating with a joule heater. In other words, you would only believe there was excess heat if you trusted the calibrations were done right, and the recovery rate was correctly measured. Such results were close to the margin. In Rossi's case, you can ignore the recovery rate. You could pretend it is 100% (which is impossible) and you still get large excess in most tests. This inspires much more confidence than the early marginal tests. Rossi does not trust precision measurements or complicated methods, so he would never ask anyone to trust his recovery rate, and he probably does not even bother to measure it. Still, it would be a good idea to establish the performance of the instrument.