On Oct 7, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint wrote:

The Tout thermocouple being within an inch or two of the hot steam flow into
the heat exchanger does not sit well w/me...

From watching Lewan's video again, the external heat exchanger (XHX) was operated in counter-current flow, where the steam from the primary circuit flowed opposite to the water flow in the secondary circuit. Yeah, yeah, we don't really know how that XHX is constructed, but let's just look at the inlet/outlet physical locations on both sides of it. The steam entered the same side of the XHX as did the out-flowing heated water from the secondary side. So we are assuming that the metal fitting to which the thermocouple was attached, was at the temperature of the water flowing inside and was not influenced by the 120+C steam that was entering only an inch or two away
from the thermocouple???  Just doesn't sit well w/me...

...now I can go to bed.
-m

"You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"

"External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty."

A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/