You are having a lot of fun William.  I am assuming that some of the flux from
your permanent magnet is passing through the toroid.  Any change in the coupled
flux will generate a voltage around the S-C loop.   This voltage of course
would cause a current to flow through the zero ohm nature of the S-C.  Here
comes the interesting part that I am guessing at.  There should be inductance
associated with the loop of S-C material along with the zero valued resistance.
 Now, when a voltage is applied across a perfect inductor it acts like an ideal
integrator. I would expect a current to flow within the S-C that corresponds to
the ideal integration of the derivative of the flux change linkage.  If you
integrate a derivative, you get the original function.  This is an interesting
phenomenon. It looks as though you have an internal current generated that will
regenerate the net flux magnitude associated with the original magnetic field.
This newly generated flux field does not have to match in space the original
field, but instead has to be the same integrated value over the linkage area.
You would now have a nice toroidal magnetic that can be pointing in either
direction depending upon the original magnetic linkage.  I have been careless
with the signs of the derivative functions because I am more interested in the
magnitude of the effect, but it could be cleaned up with a little extra effort.

Let me suggest another interesting experiment for you to conduct.  Locate a
round magnet with a small gap through which your S-C material will pass.  The
field needs to be along the circle.  You can make one out of a toroidal coil of
wire that is wound tightly so that a very small amount of field escapes outside
the toroid.  If done well, you would have virtually no field intersecting your
S-C material as it loops through the toroidal coil.  I would expect for this
set up to yield the same kind of effect as you initially observed with the
permanent magnetic.

Dave