  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
  Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:39 AM

  [Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.]
   Until the late 1980s, natural gas stoves and water heaters had stand-by
pilot light that wasted energy, which is somewhat analogous to leaving a
cold fusion reactor running. Energy was cheap and no one cared about the
waste. Equipment was cheaper and simpler because we traded off efficiency.
[Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.] ...