Jay Caplan <uniqueprodu...@comcast.net> wrote:

**
> Military might want an exclusive interest in a cheap small heat source for
> a number of strategic interests including ships . .

They might want exclusive use, but they cannot get it. Too much information
about this has already circulated. It is in the hands of people in Italy and
Greece, which are outside the jurisdiction of the US military. once it
becomes generally known that it is possible to make a Rossi reactor with
nickel powder and two other elements, many organizations will frantically
pursue this technology and figure out how he did it. When I say "many
organizations" I mean every major industrial corporation and every national
laboratory on Earth will devote hundreds of top experts to work on it 7 days
a week.

People who think the NRC might ban this, that it might be kept secret fail
to grasp how important this is, and how much of an impact it will have --
how much it must have, by the nature of the discovery.

This is the most important technological breakthrough in all of recorded
history. The only thing comparable is the discovery of language, or fire, or
the domestication of horses -- which occurred before recorded
history. Probably, nothing as important will ever be discovered again in the
future. Even antigravity or a reaction-less space drive would have less
impact. (Human immortality might have as large an impact, but I hope that is
impossible.)

This is also probably the most lucrative breakthrough in history. Anyone
with knowledge of military technology will see that it is by far the most
important advance in weapons technology. It will make all weapon system
obsolete practically overnight. Such things cannot be kept secret, and they
cannot be stymied by the NRC. The NRC could no more stop this -- or even
slow it down -- than the Surgeon General could enforce a 1-year ban on
adults having sex in the U.S. The notion that you can stop corporations,
banks and venture capitalists from developing something that will soon earn
them a trillion dollars a year is preposterous. Such organizations have a
great deal of influence on government policy, to say the least.

The only reason we do not see hundreds of thousands of experts frantically
trying to replicate now is because most people do not believe it exists.

As far as I know, the US military has never try to keep secret any major
technology with civilian applications. I do not think it would be possible
for them to do that even if they wanted to. The Chinese military and other
rivals would soon find out about it, and they would be building it too.

As Arthur C. Clarke said, no secret is more fleeting than military
technology. He knew about that since he worked on radar during WWII.

Of course there are countless minor secrets and highly specialized
technologies such as encryption and exploding tank armor that remain either
secret or confidential. The details of how US aircraft carrier nuclear
reactors work is kept confidential. But the fact that US aircraft carriers
use fission reactors is not secret, and never has been. Fission reactors are
widely used around the world. The U.S. Navy developed them first but this
did not slow down civilian development.