Hi Steven Vincent Johnson,

Yes, I use "pragmatic skepticism" to define my role in my own mind,
namely, common sense applied to details that can be comprehended by a
scientific layman, which since December, 1996 has been a successful
strategy for finding flaws in CF research -- "pathological skeptic"
does not apply to me, who wants CF to be real via evidence, and who is
hardly hidebound by dogmas of any kind on any level, heartily
convinced by experience that reality is immediately infinitely
creative and subtle...

I am content to let my Achilles take over the fight:

http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/10/28/energy-catalzyer-extraordinary-scams-require-extraordinary-claims/#comments

Joshua Cude says:

October 29, 2011 at 22:39

In addition to Maryyugo’s reservations about this show, I can add that
even if the data, as presented, is accepted, it does not constitute
evidence for excess heat, let alone heat from nuclear reactions:

1. No evidence is presented that the water is all converted to steam.
Rossi says he collects the unconverted water, but gives no explanation
how. The steam is at 105 C or so, but the internal pressure is almost
certain to be significantly elevated by even a small amount of steam
formation. Moreover, given the size of the pipes, a full conversion to
steam is at 650 kg/hour is not plausible. The only thing the data show
definitively is that the water is heated to 105 C, and that
corresponds to a total output heat of about 370 kWh instead of the
2635 kWh claimed.

2. The total input heat is not given. The input heat from 12:30 to
18:00 is given as 66 kWh (during the “self-sustained” period). But
according to the spreadsheet, the heat was turned on at 10:30. The
report does not indicate the power level, but it would only have to be
about 150 kW (for 2 hours) to account for the total output energy as
calculated in (1). Since there was a 500 kW diesel generator on site,
this seems perfectly feasible, and it is also consistent with the
power level Rossi said would be used to ignite the reaction. Finally,
we don’t know if the device was still retaining heat from earlier
runs. After all, the water was heated from 15 to 30 degrees at time
zero.