Since Mr. Krivit would like us to accept his professional capacity both as
an objective and competent investigative journalist; since Mr. Krivit hopes
that enough of us will accept the conclusions he draws about Mr. Rossi &
Co's real agenda, I have found myself questioning why Mr. Krivit seems to be
so relentless in his efforts to paint Rossi as a clever scam artist. From my
perspective Krivits' efforts strike me as having transformed into an
exceedingly one-dimensional attack against the reputation of a single
individual: Andrea Rossi.

In retrospect, I realize that Krivit pursuing such an agenda was not
entirely unexpected. In the past Krivit has followed a similar agenda of
going after the personal reputations of certain academics such as during the
despicable Bubblegate debacle. Back then, I think Krivit garnering a lot of
well deserved positive feedback for his tenacious efforts in revealing the
"dirt". In my mind, Krivit deserved the complements he received.

But today we are talking about Andrea Rossi. We are talking about Rossi's
professional reputation and why Krivit's agenda seems to be focused on
dismantling the reputation of Rossi.

As Jed recently pointed out, there seems to be no wiggle room left. What can
Krivit do if it turns out that Rossi's controversial work is determined to
be authentic? Despite all the scientific flaws currently associated with
Rossi's controversial eCats many intelligent, well-informed scientifically
literate individuals continue to suspect Rossi's eCats, flawed as they may
be within the scientific community, are the genuine article. Under the
circumstances I have remained baffled over the fact that Krivit seems to be
oblivious to their observations.

For Krivit to have essentially cornered himself in the manner that he has
chosen raises serious questions in my mind. He is now risking his
professional career in an All-for-Nothing gamble based on what is
essentially a personal hunch - Krivit's personal hunch. The agenda Krivit
currently seems to be pursuing strikes me as having little to do with
investigative journalism. It strikes me more as mirroring the classic novel,
Moby Dick, of Captain Ahab's relentless pursuit of the white whale. I've
personally witnessed this kind of "hunt" in the past, such as in the
dysfunctional behaviors of other investigative reporters I've known. I
recall a string of relentless attacks from UFO investigator Kevin Randle
that had been launched against his former partner Don Schmitt after Schmitt
disgraced himself by lying to Randle over in incredibly petty matter.
Nothing good comes of such relentless attacks other than the generation of a
lot of juicy UFO tabloid sensation that was of interest only to a small
incestuous inner circle of UFO investigators and gawkers. Years of wasted
effort that could have been more productively channeled elsewhere.

And now, on to some of my personal observations:

Two former NET BoD members (prior to me) had been active Vortex-l
participants. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that at present
none on the current BoD membership check vortex posts. If some still do,
they probably do so only sporadically - perhaps to monitor the posts of
certain individuals of passing interest to them. IOW, associations with the
Vort Collective appear to have been systematically eliminated from the
ability of making any kind of useful contribution to NET's BoD, and to Mr.
Krivit.

I noticed that any BoD member Mr. Krivit perceived as challenging his
authority or his job performance was asked to resign. This in itself is
certainly understandable. NET is, after all, Mr. Krivit's baby and he can
bring it up anyway he chooses.

When Krivit demanded the resignation of a certain vortex participating BoD
member I did my best to intercede on BoD's behalf. I suggested that the
member's resignation would be unwise, a waste of a valuable resource. I
don't know if it was due to my personal efforts or not, but the Vortex
participating BoD member remained, at least temporarily. Unfortunately,
after I resigned he was soon kicked out.

Mr. Krivit appeared to have become terrified of Mr. Lomax. Much of the
Lomax/Krivit conflict came to the forefront in the aftermath of NET's
infamous Issue #34, where Krivit questioned the conclusions certain
prominent cold fusion researchers had arrived at. Krivit concluded that
"fusion" isn't occurring.  Krivit claimed that a mysterious "nuclear"
reaction was instead occurring. (I still don't understand the all-too subtle
distinctions drawn between a "fusion" reaction versus a "nuclear" reaction,
even after repeatedly asking Krivit during my capacity as a BoD member.) Be
that as it may, what seriously concerned me was the fact that Krivit was
claiming that cold "fusion" evidence had been deliberately manipulated in
such a fashion as to indicate "fusion" had occurred when in Krivit's opinion
it really hadn't. The implication was that the professional reputations of
certain prominent cold fusion researchers was under attack, and this deeply
concerned me. Meanwhile, Mr. Lomax had taken to posting an obsessive number
highly detailed criticisms of Krivit's cold fusion assessments. I also
noticed that Lomax's efforts were beginning to drive Krivit to absolute
distraction. Making matter worse, as best as I could tell, Krivit was never
willing to consciously confront the possibility that he had become terrified
of the obsessive amount of detail displayed in Lomax's posts. More to the
point, Krivit did not strike me as even being willing to confront the
disquieting possibility that the content of some of Lomax's postings might
even be correct. For Krivit to consciously admit such a possibility existed,
it would imply that his professional investigation skills may not be as good
as he wanted to believe they were.

Krivit eventually began to deal with what I perceived to be his unrealized
fear of Lomax in a unique way. Krivit gave me the impression that he suspect
an organization of individuals was in truth behind the personification of
"Mr. Lomax". In other words, Krivit began to wonder if a secret group of
individuals were in fact pulling "Lomax's" strings in an effort to destroy
his reputation.

Finally, Krivit forbade the BoD membership to actually speak Lomax's name in
his presence ever again. - End of Discussion.

Mr. Krivit gave me the impression that he wondered if there also might exist
an organization possibly made up of certain cold fusion researchers,
possibly directed by their authorship that was out to get him. Krivit feared
that someone. some organization might eventually try to take him down. get
him out of the picture. Some of Krivit's concerns were based on
correspondence he showed me pertaining to what certain researchers had said
- or more precisely what was being implied in wording that had been
carefully chosen for which these researchers (I firmly believe) KNEW would
eventually get back to Krivit with the intent of rattling him. Such wording
did get back to Krivit and it did concern him... even frightened him. Again,
I suspect a goal of rattling Krivit had been one of the goals. However, I
tried to suggest to Krivit that what I personally read, including what was
being implied between the lines, which Krivit interpreted as being a
concerted effort (a conspiracy) to take him out of the picture was
unfounded. Granted, the documentation Krivit showed me revealed the obvious
fact that many of these individuals had grown frustrated and downright angry
over Krivit growing independence. They certainly wished that Krivit's
journalistic influence would begin to wane. The point was that Krivit was no
longer their Cold Fusion cheer leader, an "asset" they could depend on to
tow the party line. But would any of these frustrated, disappointed
individuals feel an urgent need to actually take Krivit down, precisely
because he was no longer under their "direction"? I saw absolutely no
evidence of that, and I told Krivit so. I'm not sure Krivit believed me.

I was beginning realize the fact that I was no longer able to advise Mr.
Krivit in an effective manner. Carefully worded diplomatic messages sent via
email along with several lengthy phone calls seemed ineffective. I was left
with the choice of becoming confrontational. At one point I told Krivit that
I would resign If I saw Krivit publishing a personal opinion that stated a
personal belief that certain cold fusion researchers had deliberately cooked
their own data.

My worst concerns began to materialize when during a radio interview the
interviewer got Krivit to imply that certain cold fusion researchers had
indeed lied about their data. Krivit never said outright that these
researchers had "lied". But there existed little wiggle room in what Krivit
hoped the audience would infer from what he had not said directly.

After listening to the radio interview, I did a really stupid thing. I
attempted to defend Krivit's intentions, specifically some of the wording he
had used in the radio interview. I claimed that the interviewer had
skillfully manipulated Krivit's actual intentions in such a manner as to
imply that certain CF researchers were deliberately lying about their data
when that was actually not Krivit's intention to do so publicly. I
"defended" Krivit out in vortex-l by saying Krivit was inexperienced at
being interviewed by a skilled interviewer who was fishing for a specific
outcome - for the sake of drama. It was stupid thing for me to have done
because it was never my place in the first place to defend Krivit's actions,
good or bad.

Curiously, while Krivit had claimed that he was no longer monitoring
vortex-l posts I was astonish at how fast Krivit contacted me by eMail and
later by phone. He made it very clear that I should not have done what I had
done, that I had essentially performed a public job performance on him.
Krivit was right. I shouldn't have done it. Afterwards, I realized there was
a lot more that I needed to tell Krivit, IN PRIVATE. But first I had to
think about what needed to say. Later that evening, I sent Krivit my private
concerns. I was quite confrontational. Mr. Krivit responded by cc'ing the
private contents to the rest of the collective BoD. Krivit then told me (and
obviously everyone else on the BoD) that my highly-inflammatory message was
wholly inappropriate of a BoD member and that if I could not work with him
with civility, courtesy and respect he would ask me for my resignation.

I resigned.

Mr. Krivit followed-up by politely thanking me for my prior service to NET,
and that was that.

Obviously, one would say that I was deliberately fishing for an excuse to
resign. I won't deny the fact that by the time spring of 2009 had rolled
around I was seriously questioning my effectiveness as a NET BoD member. To
be honest I was also concerned about the legal ramifications. I wondered, as
a BoD member could I personally be held liable for the actions of someone I
was presuming helping to "direct"?

Be that as it may, if any of my private correspondence with Mr. Krivit
should ever come to light, that's ok by me. I have nothing to hide.

---

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com

www.zazzle.com/orionworks