Lying is one thing, but the subject is also important...
I won't be surprised if, during industrialization, rossi said that it
works, while he had a big problem...
that is common in business. We call that the "demo effect"...

the method to detect liars is not only to detect the uncontrollable first
milliseconds emotions signs,
but also to detect the counter-measures that good liars have developed,
sign of sociopathy.
a good liar, instead of emitting early emotion, will control himself and
will emit nothing or smokescreen...
normal liars are not so competent.

if you see me lying in normal life, you will instinctively detect it, even
without method.
as an amateur actor I have methods to lie to myself (Stanislavsky method)
so I can look sincere, but I don't know if I emit the early warning in case
of surprise.
by the way that big surprise is the secret of good actors that try to
surprise the partner and keep surprised, but to look sincere they believe
in their story, and are trained by repetition...

so if you want to look at the real emotion of someone, look at the
instinctive reaction on big surprises...

by the way you don't  detect lie, but real emotions, and can sometime guess
the incoherence with affirmation...