At 08:44 AM 12/6/2011, Peter Gluck wrote:

The Physics of why the e-Cat's Cold Fusion Claims Collapse

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/12/the_nuclear_physics_of_why_we.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScienceblogsChannelEnvironment+%28ScienceBlogs+Channel+%3A+Environment%29

The article is a great example of hubris. Well-written for a lay person, does explain the so-called "mainstream" view of cold fusion. My interest is, of course, LENR and the evidence regarding its existence. Ni-H and Rossi is a recent claim, about which there is way too little evidence to come to much of any conclusions other than the obvious: Rossi looks like a con man. Now, if we could make judgments about nuclear physics based on how people look, ordinary people would be experts on nuclear physics, eh?

Here is where the article starts to jump off the cliff of reasoning from outcomes, of assuming the conclusion:

All of our successful attempts at generating nuclear fusion here on Earth require similarly high pressures and/or temperatures to those found at the core of each and every fusion-powered star. In mainstream physics, there are <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_confinement_fusion>three <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_confinement_fusion>types of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetized_target_fusion>setups verified to create nuclear fusion, all of which are working towards the (metaphorical) <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/holy%20grail>holy grail goal of the breakeven point. If you can reach and go beyond that point, you'll produce more usable energy from your setup than you put into it in order to create the fusion reaction.

But recently, attempts to create nuclear fusion with a relatively low-pressure, low-temperature experiment -- what's commonly known as <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion>cold fusion -- have been making a lot of noise.

Notice the word "all." Anyone who knows science should have alarms going off when they come across that word. There is another word in there, "successful." What does that mean? Here, I'm guessing, "success" might mean "break-even." However, the three "verified" setups haven't reached that goal, not in a verified way, at least.

Further, the context is that they are talking about attempts to achieve fusion, and even one fusion reaction verified would be success, even if it's far below breakeven. Bottom line, what they say is just plain wrong. The clearest and least controversial example is muon-catalyzed fusion. The controversy, then, is over whether or not fusion catalyzed or arranged by other than muons is possible. What they are not disclosing is the existence of a controversy, and, in particular, they may not even be aware of it. There is a gap between what "most scientists" believe on the matter of fusion, and what is being published in mainstream, peer-reviewed journals, not to mention in other places. The extreme skepticism on cold fusion has disappeared from the mainstream peer-reviewed literature. It is still found in tertiary sources, in articles that do not actually investigate the topic, that just repeat the "conventional wisdom" as if that had anything to do with the real state of science.

Storms, "Status of cold fusion (2010)," Naturwissenschaften, October, 2010, stands. I'm not aware of any more recent review of the field of the same stature as to detailed consideration of the evidence. There is now a substantial body of work confirming that there is a reaction (covered by the rubrik, "Fleischmann-Pons Heat Effect) that produces heat and helium from deuterium, and if you can figure out a way to produce helium from deuterium without fusion, well, you might get a Nobel Prize just for that. The heat is correlated with the helium at, within experimental error, the right value for deuterium fusion, but that doesn't mean that the reaction is d+d -> He-4. It just means that the fuel is likely deuterium and the ash is helium, any intermediary reaction starting from deuterium and ending with helium will produce that ratio.

Some people quibble about whether or not, say, a series of reactions that start with producing neutrons, which are then absorbed to transmute elements, that might end up with helium, are "fusion" or not. But that's not relevant here. The authors are really denying LENR, low-energy nuclear reactions, but ignoring the massive evidence, and they just focus on Rossi.

They state that Rossi is claiming nuclear fusion. No, he doesn't. It's not clear what he claims. Mostly he's claiming heat. This is a shallow article, ultimately.

[...] you've got to overcome the tremendous Coulomb barrier (the electrical repulsion between nickel and hydrogen nuclei), which -- according to our knowledge of nuclear physics -- requires temperatures and pressures not found naturally anywhere in the Universe. Not in the Sun, not in the cores of the most massive stars, and (to the best of our knowledge) not even in supernova explosions!

From both an astrophysics and a nuclear physics standpoint, we can conclude that these reactions are not happening, and that they're certainly not happening at the incredibly low energies claimed by the e-Cat team.

Let's say that real experts in quantum mechanics as it applies to the solid state knew, in 1989, already, that there was no violation of physical law in the idea that some low-energy situations might catalyze fusion, that our ignorance was great. Where the article is, to use a technical term in scientific philosophy, "whacko," is in the assumption of impossibility in the absence a lack of specific analysis of specific possibility as to specific mechanism -- and Rossi is completely silent on mechanism, and the article isn't explicit about mechanism, either, seeming to assume some sort of raw brute force pressure/temperature thing, and even the 1989 U.S. ERAB panel knew that it wasn't possible to rule out fusion. They simply didn't see the evidence, and, in 1989, that was a roughly reasonable position. That changed. It became unreasonable, but by then there was an additional problem that has nothing to do with science and scientific knowledge. Politics and the sociology of science.

We, many of us, remain quite skeptical about Rossi, but the "impossible" argument doesn't hold water. It's surprising, for some, to be sure. It's one thing to imagine some kind of d-d or multiple deuterium nuclear reactions, another to go for something with nickel and hydrogen, but if one is possible, it's not at all crazy to think that something else, previously unknown, could also be possible. That doesn't make it real, merely not a-priori "impossible."