On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> “QM is the most predictive theory over the widest range of dimensions in
> history. It has certain odd implications, but in its simple application as
> tool to predict the outcome of experiments, it is perfectly well understood
> and completely unambiguous, even if statistical in nature.”
>
> How do you explain all the brouhaha over “spooky action at a
> distance”(a.k.a non-locality)

Spooky action at a distance is mainly mental gymnastics. It's difficult to
observe manifestations of entanglement, which is why it took so long to
prove Bell's theorem, and even now it is controversial. There seems to be
some progress toward exploiting it in quantum computing. But what I meant
was the application of QM to calculation of energy levels, scattering
amplitudes, stable configurations, etc etc in physics is spectacularly
successful, *and* unambiguous, if tractable. It's got spooky implications,
and yet straightforward (in principle) application to systems of particles.

> A detailed QM study of LENR might resolve some of these theories and is
> worth the effort on this account alone.

22 years of detailed QM studies of LENR don't hint at that. And that could
be said about any phenomenon someone proposes, hopes for, but can't prove.
It's clearly not worth the effort for every such possibility, or nothing
else would get done.

It is my contention that LENR requires non locality and entanglement to
> explain the lack of radioactive by-products derived from the reaction.

Sure, but that's based on a vague dream and nothing more. Science is
evidence based. The lack of radioactive byproducts is most easily explained
by the lack of nuclear reactions.

> I am referring to the pilot wave theory that will explain a lot of what is
> going on in LENR.

Again, I think that's wishful thinking. It is more or less accepted that
these sorts of extensions of quantum mechanics, whether they involve hidden
variables or not, do not provide a more accurate description (or better
explanation) of experimental outcomes. This year someone claims to have
published a proof of that, but I imagine that will be controversial too.

IMHO in terms of QM, evidence of transmutation has been conclusively
> demonstrated in LENR(via Miley and Arata).

Then they should be able to nail down the reactions definitively, but they
can't. If transmutations were conclusive in general, you couldn't keep
scientists away. But of course, in the humble opinion of most scientists,
there is no proof of transmutation. Just like heat, the results are always
kind of marginal. It's a field that has more different ways to find
marginal evidence than one would think possible. Just by chance, you might
think one of those results would stand out.