On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Akira Shirakawa
<shirakawa.ak...@gmail.com>wrote:

> From NextBigFuture:
>
> http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/**12/brian-ahern-will-not-be-**
> presenting-on.html<http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/12/brian-ahern-will-not-be-presenting-on.html>
>
> This is unexpected. Does anybody know why Dr. Brian Ahern won't be
> presenting his findings on LENR tomorrow as originally planned?

Looking at the slides, it's not surprising he bailed. The talk doesn't look
finished. Like he never got past the introduction.

There is absolutely no substance there at all. Just one loose idea than
that dissimilar (or non-linear) bond potentials at a certain size scale can
cause energy localization. He shows a macroscopic example of BBs from the
cover of nature, but the degree of localization certainly doesn't make the
sort of million-fold concentration that's needed plausible.

When he starts to talk about cold fusion experiments, it is without any
detail, without any data. Just bullet lists. The only thing in the way of
evidence for his idea is that Takahashi's experiment didn't work with
20-100 nm powder, but did with the smaller powder. Sounds a little
anecdotal, and appears to disagree with Rossi's results that use much
larger grains (allegedly).

There is a 2-line reference to recent (?) Piantelli and Miley
self-sustained operation, but no details at all.

And what's with the slide on Arata, calling him Japan's most decorated
scientist? I don't pretend to know anything about noted Japanese, but the
Wikipedia page on "list of japanese people"  ... "who are notable" doesn't
list him at all. They have a section just on scientists, which lists 20
names, many of them nobel prize winners, which Arata is not. The "order of
cultural merit" (or actually the "order of culture") that he has is not
that exclusive; there were 7 awards in 2010, and most nobel prize winners
seem to get the order. It's not that big a deal, but it would be nice if
you knew you could trust the accuracy of these presentations.