interesting vision.

basic income is a liberal version of the basic public interest services :
basic education, transport, food, culture...
it can be criticized because nothing prevent you to use basic income to
gamble on horses or drink, instead of educating your kids or building your
competence...
it can be appreciated, because individual can decide to invest more in one
domain than another, and people who don't use the public system
infrastructure, keep their cash to pay for better service elsewhere.

that is politic vision of the society.
for a french man, you look so strange in US. and i suppose we look so
strange to you.
discussion about grid, autonomy, infrastructure, is really revealing that
strong difference between crowded kingdom and pioneer "desertic"
self-managed pioneer countries.

roland benabou have good article on that
http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers.html
eg
http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/beliefs%20qje%201%20web.pdf
and many other

you can undestand why, despite the fact that today the fairness is quite
the same in US and europe, our vision are so different... even our
religion, electricity, transportation, cities, government, are different
and this is connected to the big differences of belief...
US people cannot imagine how violent for us is the globalization that
impose your pioneer culture to our kingdom culture, and maybe is it the
same for US people...