Robert,
According to Newtonian gravity the unwarping would happen instantaneously
(Newton of course didn't think of warping, he said "I will not make any
hypothesis about gravity's nature but only on how it works"). But the
unwarping happening in a finite time is one and the same with gravitational
waves. When a mass distribution changes, it changes the curvature of space
and time and it is this unwarping that causes the waves. It is the result
of the fabric of space-time bouncing back to its original flat default
state that causes near by deformations that want eventually spring back
causing further disturbance in space-time. The entire sequence therefore
creates a wave. This is how the information that the sun is missing is
transmitted. But any other change in the mass distribution would do the
trick. If the sun would expand or contract very fast or flatten also these
changes would cause gravitational waves. The main caveat that the changes
in mass distribution need to be spherically asymetric (this is a
consequence of the fact that there is just one gravitational charge, in
other words you have to have a changing quadrupole for GW emission, while a
dipole is enough for EM waves ).

Giovanni